My Presentation

Creating an Engaging Presentation 101

Transcendental Awesumitude by dospaz at Flickr.com

Step 1 – Project Summary

I created this blog post in order to showcase what I have learned about making an engaging presentation that is made to stick. Through my educational endeavors, I was taught how the process of brainstorming and storyboarding can set up a great presentation. In addition, I learned about an effective and efficient way to format a presentation utilizing the “SUCCESs Model.” The process promotes a productive and creative individual, a status I have attempted to gain.

Step 2 – What is a Good Presentation?

A good presentation consists of a few main components that add a level of character and creativity. Comedic value, visual stimulus, and an energetic presenter all play a part in making an enjoyable presentation.

Being a good presenter is a life long skill that everyone would benefit from gaining. We utilize this skill our entire lives and to be fluent with it will ultimately grant us more opportunity and a higher probability of success.

Step 3 – What are “Brain-writing and Brainstorming”?

Brain-writing is an introverted activity in which you make your thoughts physical. Write down everything that comes to mind, starting with a central topic that branches out into other thoughts and ideas. We do this so we can make our thoughts permanent while simultaneously putting all of our cards on the table so we can use them at will. Following this activity, we participate in Brainstorming, an extroverted activity in which we confer with people around us. We take this step in order to get outside opinions on our thoughts, which effectively refines and revises the Brain-write.

My Presentation Brain-write

Step 4 – Creating a Storyboard

I storyboarded my ideas so I could efficiently process and lay out my ideas chronologically. Storyboarding is a great way to follow up a Brain-write because it engages the left brain, as opposed to the right brain. In addition it will take less time and effort to create the presentation later.

Calvin Storyboard1

Calvin Storyboard2

Calvin Storyboard3

Step 5 – Gathering and Citing Images

Copyright is a form of authority granted to the creator of a work, saying that they are entitled to do what they want with it or delegate it to others to use. The Creative Commons is a site in which users can find work that the creators have allowed for public use. I use the Creative Commons so I can use images in my presentation that will not infringe on copyright laws, and so I can easily cite them. In a citation, four pieces of information are necessary. These include the date, site, author, and file name for the picture.

Step 6 – Creating the Master Slide

I went through the steps of making a Master Slide because it formats every single slide you make in the presentation. A master slide will create a default template for you to use, so when you add a new slide, it will always be that template. When you’re making over 32 slides, it is a lot easier to have them all formatted before inserting any content, which allows the process of creating a presentation to run more smoothly.

Master Slide

Step 7 – Building a Slideshow

Utilizing images, short words, or phrases at a fast pace engages the audience and makes them work for the information you’re providing. This forces the brain to remember the content from the presentation. As such, it is quick and easy to build this slideshow because you need only follow the storyboard from earlier.

Creating the Presentation

Step 8 – Sharing the Slideshow

Sharing your slideshow to Slideshare.net broadens the available audience by allowing anyone to view it from any platform. A connection to internet isn’t even necessary, making it more accessible.

Step 9 – Preparing to Present/Pitch

I prepped for my presentation in a few simple ways. First, I would go through and familiarize myself with the layout of my presentation and the flow of the slides. Then, I brainstormed a rough script to go off of, mixing improvisation with a structure of main ideas I want to mention. Once I had an idea of what I would say, I went through the slides, refining how I present. The end result will consist of many revisions of the original presentation that has been developed over time. It is very important to prepare the verbal part of the presentation so you can bring together a more cohesive product, and make it more professional.

Step 10 – What I Learned

Simply put, I learned how to make a presentation that people remember. I also was able to provide some sort of take away for those who view my presentation. It is imperative for educators and students alike to familiarize themselves with this process because it is a universal life skill that can be used in many different scenarios. Above all else, the SUCCESSs Model is effective, efficient, and made to stick.