Editing an Interview

Summary

In short, I took an unedited interview with James Clark, then edited it.

I took the raw clip, cut out a few questions that I could use to make a sub-three minute video, diced them up to exclude unnecessary spacing, “ums,” and “ahs.” I cut away to clips of Clarks acting portfolio to hide cuts, stitched the rest of the project together with transitions, put an insightful (and CC friendly) soundtrack in the background, and organized the video with title slides.

Here is the final product, portraying my new found skills as an editor.

Collating Files and Storyboard

These are all the files I used in the project timeline. I organized them in accordance with their nature (video, audio, b-roll). This allowed me to easily keep track of the timeline as it expanded and became more complex.

This is a rough outline or “storyboard” concept for how I thought I would initially edit the interview. I utilized color coding to differentiate sections, and added notes at the bottom to refer to when editing. I split a table between shot type and the shot content, and worked from there.

Project Skills Evidence

Here is a zoomed out view of the entire timeline. From top to bottom are the titles, b-roll footage, interview video, interview audio, and background music.

Here is a zoomed in view of a section of the timeline. It includes a morph cut, cross fades, dips to black and white, a title, multiple cut aways, an audio transition, and background music.

What I Learned

Throughout the editing process, I learned that disorganized preparation can lead to hiccups and become detrimental to the timeliness, creativity, and overall flow of the project. In addition, I learned that creativity can come at a cost. Sometimes, content is more important than embellishing a finished product. At the same time however, it is the little details that go a long way when editing. This could include syncing visuals with what the interviewee is saying, transitioning seamlessly, or leaving just the right amount of natural speech in a clip.